Saturday, June 13, 2009

Trotting By...

Happy Saturday everyone! Hope you all had a great week - ok, two weeks. Time just seems to be flying. We had a great vacation - weather cooperated, food was good (even went to Sutton's Marketplace & Cafe touted by Rachel Ray - they had the best fresh Cider doughnuts), friends were great and we didn't see a TV or newspaper for 5 days! The Vermont and NY landscape was beautiful and made for some great days out on the Harley. We took the ferry across Lake Champlain, drove past Killington, Pico and Okemo ski resorts, saw a bear, two dear and a turkey that crossed the road while we were on the bikes. The night life was entertaining - Tom and Auggie sang their hearts out and Tom lost his voice after the first night. Now, it's life as usual and I'm thrilled to be in my favorite room of the house, my craft room!

Today I've started with a Birthday greeting for a sweet young lady that loves animals - Lisa, don't let Stephanie read this post yet! While all animlas steal her heart, she loves horseback riding. She gave me this stamp for Christmas and I have been thinking about her birthday card ever since.



I started to use my pencils and mineral spirits to color the horse and then added touches of Copic markers to finish it off. Of course, Neenah Classic Crest Solar White cardstock was my choice of paper and Memento Rich Cocoa was used for the ink. I used both the small and large oval Nestabilities as well as the large scalloped oval to bring this image cener stage. There is a small strip of striped DP from Martha Stewart which I backed with the matching solid green all from the Classic Botanical Paper Pad. The brown DP came from SEI Alpine Frost and I loved the way it gave the texture of wood or a barn to this card. The card base is by Bazzil.

Now I know that pink or purple are Steph's favorite colors but I felt they just didn't go with the horse idea. Green reminded me of flowing pastures so I highlighted this with lime green satin ribbon. I tied the ribbon with some brown hemp and added a Dew Drop to the top. I always look for embellishments in unusual places and found the Daisy upholstery tacks at LumberJack. With my employee discount they were $0.50 for 24. Not bad I thought. Thank goodness the DH is strong, he clipped the heavy pin off and left me with the tops which I adherred with Glue Dots. The brown border was created with the Martha Stewart Cornice punch. The sentiment is SU Warmest Regards.

I'm off to work on another project and hopefully I'll have more to share with you this weekend.

Take care and thanks for looking!

Cath

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cathy,
Great job on the card. I don't know if I am more impressed with the final outcome or the thought process behind the card. She will love the card. Thank you for being so thoughtful and putting so much effort into every card you make. Your card is a gift in itself.

ScrappyLin said...

Wow, Lisa beat me to a post! I agree with Lisa's comment too. Cath, I really like the thicker brown border on your Nesties. Did you get this because you used the large and small ovals together? It looks great. Only you would find things to use at Big Wood for cards.