Sunday, March 6, 2011

Create...


I have a fun project to share with you today. I told you that I recently visited a scrapbook store and found tons of inspiration. One of the things they had in abundance was banners. Well, I've decided to channel some of that energy into papercrafting projects to decorate my craft space. I love banners so I've taken some of the paper and embellishments that I hoard and incorporated them into something for me. Understanding why we hoard might help here. I KNOW that I hoard because I find things I love and don't want to part with. Why do I torture myself if I don't also use them? So, I've pulled my Webster's Pages papers because I love the colors and the prints but find that the 12x12 papers I have are too big in scale for my cards. They also had coordinating colors to work with on the back and it made this project easy to do.

Kelly Lunceford makes holiday banners and posts them quite frequently. I remembered that she also posted a tuitorial so I headed to her blog and found exactly what I was looking for here. It's a step by step lesson on how she creates her gorgeous banners. It was easy but time consuming to do this project but I am tickled pink with the result. I did make one slight change to her directions and that was to add large eyelets in soft pastel shades to match each flag. I then tied a bow with seam binding tape to join each flag to the next. Kelly uses staples and I was too afraid that it wouldn't stand the test of time.


You'll find glitter, seam binding tape I hand dyed, buttons, a rhinestone dragonfly, a gold leaf, paper flowers, punched butterflies, and lucious Martha Stewart ribbon adorning this inspirational banner. I even pulled my Slice machine out to cut the letters. I didn't have chipboard letters but thought I would try the tool that sits and collects dust to see if it could finally earn it's keep. It did! The font is from the Back to School cartridge cut 4 inches. They were exactly what I was looking for.

I'm very hesitant to hang things on the wall just yet but this is attached with some straight pins so the impact to the wall is minimal. Woo Hoo. I can definately see me making some more of these!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks for stopping by!

Cath

6 comments:

Dana White said...

Cath this is fantastic - this is a brilliant way of using up our stash!!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to dress up the walls in your new house. It's so creative ... and so You! I just love it!

Tammy Hershberger said...

OMGosh, this is beautiful! LOVE the variety of patterns and colors and wonderful details! (Thanks again also, for visiting my blog and making my day!)

Nina said...

wow this is just beautiful and how lovely and fun to hang in a craft space!

Kerri said...

love it..i think i need something like that..i think in your spare time you should send me one of those..lol..thks for sharing its grt..

Ebru Vatansever said...

Oh my Cath, you are amazing. This banner is gorgeous my dear, you are so creative. Excellent way to use up stuff that just sits around gather dust :)