Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Have a Grrrrreat Birthday!


I know it's been awhile...Irene got in our path over the weekend and has wrecked havoc on our county. If you haven't seen the news, we've lost whole towns! The power of Mother Nature amazes me. Places that hubby and I visited over the summer on our weekly motorcycle explorations are no longer there. 13.5 inches of rain fell and swelled creeks to rivers that engulfed houses and streets and swept away everything in its path. It's left inches of thick mud, fallen bridges and sunken roads all over the place. I thank our lucky stars that we only had minor basement flooding but my husband, as County Administrator, has been at the Emergency Operations Center all day and night. As the week has worn on, I see his spirit diminishing. Please pray that financial and physical contributions can help these people pick up their lives again.

I finally found time to create and set out to make my nephew his Birthday card. He'll be 2 so I thought I could still get away with another Stamping Bella image designed by Cristy Croll called Amimals Daisy Lion. My first thought was to use it for a Baby Shower card but the birthday came first. For a little change of pace, I used kraft cardstock as my base and image panel. I still used Memento Tuxedo black ink and colored with copics and was pleased that the colors looked as vibrant as ever. The design paper is a combination of Cosmo Cricket 12x12 sheets. The background is a backside of Gretel Woodland and the dots are the back side of Mr. Campy Skipping Stones. Nesties helped me make all the cutouts including the sentiment panel. Machine stitching, yellow brads, and a gross grain ribbon are my embellishments.

I'm still hunting for an image to color for this week's Bellariffic Friday challenge - the theme is Back to School. Won't you play along too?

Hope you and yours are safe!

Thanks for stopping by.
Cath

3 comments:

Pauline said...

Too cute! Great idea to stamp on kraft, I never think to do that. Love the dots and great layout - might steal this idea!

Dana White said...

First I'm so happy your family is OK - it's hard to imagine the damage out there.
How brilliant are you stamping the image on kraft paper?! And I can't believe you stitched around that little circle!

Leslie said...

Glad you and yours got through Irene with little damage - Mother Nature can be very harsh!

Your card is very cute and I really like the layout! I agree with Dana - I can't believe you stitched around that circle! Impressive!